Sunday, January 06, 2008

Creativity

I have always had an artistic bent. Unfortunately, as a kid I was taught that being creative was ok, but it wasn't "practical". I was taught that you couldn't get a job with an art degree; you had to get a degree in something "practical" so at the end you would have a career. Somehow, along the way, I figured I would be a doctor. That's pretty practical. I did not mind the "icky" stuff, so that is what I decided my career would be. During high school, I took loads of science and math courses so I could get into med school. When I was going into grade 13, I realized that I did not have the drive to be a doctor. Uh oh, now what? What can I do with all these science courses? I have a couple of aunts who were nurses, so I thought: "I can be a nurse!" I got into nursing at the University of Western Ontario, where one of my aunts said they had a good nursing school.

I remember in my first year of nursing school that one of the other nursing students left the program to go into Math. Math? What can you do with a math degree, I thought. (I lost track of her and hope she is enjoying her life with math!) I still, obviously, was quite stuck in the "practical" mindset. Creativity and art were far off thoughts. Looking back, I hated nursing even in school, but I was also taught "You finish what you start", so I felt I had to finish nursing school. I got my degree and worked on the Burn Unit for almost 14 years. Yup, I still hated it. But, I had bills to pay and I was paid well and I was also pretty good at it (and I still liked the "icky" stuff).

In 2006, I had what you could call a "nervous breakdown". It wasn't pretty. I took time off work, hoping to get better enough to go back. Hubby knew I hated my job, so after much discussion, I decided to quit. Freedom!!! It was scary to quit and give up my licence. Nursing was something I could fall back on. But in all honesty, I would rather be saying "would you like fries with that?" than to ever go back to nursing.

I have been working hard at getting better. I have also had the gift of time. I am making time to explore my creativity and making it a priority. I am starting to discover what I enjoy creating. I am trying to figure out how I would like to express my artistic side, and make some money from it too. I have been crocheting, drawing, digitally drawing, making dolls, and painting. I am hoping that in 2008 I will find my creative calling(s). It is time.

1 comment:

Faith said...

I know you will Anne. Sometimes a nervous breakdown is actually just a breakthrough. At least that's how I like to think of mine!

xo
Faith