Thursday, March 27, 2008

Just trucking along and scalloped potatoes

Life is pretty much status quo around here. Hubby is off work right now, and it is lovely to have him home.

On Sunday, I made a kind of "Easter" meal. It is funny because neither hubby nor I are Christian. However we were both brought up in Christian environments and I somehow feel like I still want to celebrate the holidays. I made a little ham and the most delicious scalloped potatoes and had broccoli too. I made some crock-pot rice pudding which was ok. I thought I would write down the recipe for the potatoes so I could remember it...

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

1/4 c butter
1 small onion, diced
1/4 c flour
2 c milk
1/2 - 1 t. salt
pepper to taste
8 oz shredded sharp cheddar (or so)
4-6 medium potatoes, slice 1/4 inch thick, unpeeled

Preheat over to 375F.
In a non-stick saute pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Saute onion in butter until softened but not browned, about 3-4 min. Add flour to the pan, and saute gently for about 2-3 min. Add milk, salt and pepper to pan, and bring to a low simmer over medium high heat. Cook until thickened, about 3-4 min. Turn heat to very low and add cheese, allowing cheese to gently melt.

Layer half the potatoes in a greased, shallow rectangular casserole. Pour half the cheese sauce over the potatoes. Layer the remaining potatoes and pour remaining sauce over top. Cover potatoes and bake about 45 min. Remove cover and bake another 30 min, or until potatoes are soft and top is browned. Let rest for a few minutes before serving.

No comments: