Sunday, September 03, 2006

Mmm, tea!

What a lovely fall day. Bright sun, big fluffy white (and, ok, grey too) clouds, a refreshing breeze. It is nice to get back out in the backyard to blog; I know these fine days will end soon and I want to enjoy them while I can.
As has become our tradition on the weekend (usually Sundays), Scubaru and I went out for tea at The Tea Haus. It is so nice and relaxing there. It is a nice little store in our local market; they expanded in the last year to include a few chairs and tea service. They do not have take out tea, so you must sit and drink their tea there. They have about 200 different kinds of tea: black, green, white, oolong, rooibos, mate, honeybush, herbal, and varieties of the above kind which are flavoured. Lots of choice, to say the least. Each time we go, we each usually try a different tea. My hubby is keeping a database on the computer: the tea, who tried it and our comments. I'm sure it will be fun to look back and see all the types we have tried! It is an hour or so well enjoyed and relaxing.
I am much more a tea drinker than a coffee drinker. I have to drink my coffee "double, double" (in TimHorton-ese that is 2 cream, 2 sugar) just to make it enjoyable. But tea, ah! There is a drink to soothe my stress. Sometimes, when tea is brewed just right with a little milk and sugar, it has an "aaaaahhhh" factor. I literally go "aaaaahhhhh" and my shoulders relax and for an instant all is good and right in the world. In my family when I grew up, herbal tea was the thing, but even that was rare. We seemed to drink mostly diet pop (usually diet coke), and kool-aid and homemade lemonade in the summer. But it seems that recently, I simply have been wanting and enjoying tea of all kinds more and more. Here at home, we have: Tetley regular, Tetley decaf, earl gray, earl grey decaf, earl grey vanilla, a flavoured rooibos, and a flavoured sri lankan (all in bags). The nice lady at The Tea Haus, Beata, gave us two samples of tea to try: russian earl grey (with other flavours like lemongrass) and chocolate truffle rooibos (!). I have two tea balls, so we should be good. I can hardly wait to try them!
All in all, today was not bad. I mean, how bad can it be when you drink an organic Darjeeling!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Put on the kettle, Those teas sound great!! (And it has been a while since you made me a new cup)

Ms.S