Sunday, July 06, 2008

What does it mean to be a woman?

Or feminine? These kind of thoughts have been on my mind a lot lately. I wouldn't exactly call myself "feminine"; I don't wear makeup or dresses. I wouldn't exactly call myself "masculine" though; I wear dangly earrings and have a pony tail.

So how do I define myself? I really don't know. In this society, it seems that "feminine" means makeup and high heels and flouncy outfits. Or to be a woman means being a mom or menstruating all the time (seems like it from the ads on tv for tampons). Sure, I get my period, but is that it?

I am so much more than "woman" or "feminine". I am an artist, a dreamer, a cook and a dog lover. I watch Formula 1 car racing, then watch Sewing with Nancy. I love computers and books. I garden and try to fix furniture.

So I am not too sure I will ever figure out how to be a "feminine woman". I am just me.

No comments: