Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Anne's Carrot Curry Salad

I've been in a bit of a cooking funk lately. I end up cooking the same things over and over, and now I want a bit of change. I thought a salad might be nice, but having no lettuce made that a bit difficult. I had some carrots and raisins, and thought a carrot-raisin salad might be nice. Looking at a few different recipes, I noticed that carrot-raisin salad is carrots, raisins and miracle whip (or mayonnaise). I was not in the mood for a creamy salad, so I just looked up different carrot salads. I found a few that sounded interesting, and realizing that they were essentially carrots with a vinaigrette, I combined a bunch of ideas to make my own carrot curry salad.

The curry adds warmth to an otherwise cool salad. Although I have not tried so myself, you could probably omit the curry or substitute your favourite spice for it, such as cumin or coriander. Or, omit the dried seasonings and add fresh parsley or cilantro. Play! The honey could probably be omitted or substituted with sugar substitute if desired. This salad also tastes better when it has a chance to sit for a couple of hours or so before serving.

Anne's Carrot Curry Salad
Serves ~10 -- 1/2 cup servings(I'm guessing; it makes a good amount)

1 cup (or so) boiling water
1/2 cup dark raisins
1/2 pecans, broken (and toasted and cooled if you wish)
juice of 2 lemons, strained of pits (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup neutral flavoured oil (like corn or canola)
3/4 teaspoon mild curry powder
2 tablespoons honey (or to taste)
pinch of salt
pepper
pinch of cayenne (optional)
1 lb. carrots, peeled and coarsely grated (get use out of that food processor now!)
2 small apples, cored, unpeeled and coarsely grated

Toast pecans (if you are doing that) and set aside to cool. Put the raisins in the boiling water and set aside for about 5-10 minutes.

Combine lemon juice, oil, curry powder, honey, salt, pepper and cayenne in a small dish or blender. Using blender or immersion hand blender, emulsify the dressing. Taste, adjust seasonings and set aside.

In a large bowl, put in carrots, apples, and pecans. Drain raisins and add to bowl (they don't have to be really dry, just drained is ok). Add dressing and stir well. Cover and chill for 2 hours. Can be served cool or at room temperature.

This salad is yummy! I even had some for breakfast the next day!

No comments: