Saturday, August 26, 2006

Work In Progress: Flowery Adult Language

Of course, most of my art* has a story or explanation behind it. Artists want to express themselves, and I am no different. You see, for a long time, I was very two-dimensional. I wouldn't raise my voice, I wouldn't cause trouble; I was "a good girl". I still am, in a lot of ways, but I am working hard to be *me*, not what *I should be*. (And yes, I am in therapy ; ) ). "Ladies" don't swear or curse, so I didn't. As my very dearest friend, Miz S, used to describe me: "You wouldn't say shit if you had a mouthful" and she was true.

I have been dealing with a lot of anger lately, and need to express it and get it out. There are days I want to scream "Fuck You!" to the world, and I figured I could channel some of that energy into creating something.
Well, here it is. Essentially, I drew the words "Fuck You" in print, and am slowly filling each upright with vines of flowers and leaves; showing what I want to say (the words) but in my own special way (the vines). Nothing earth shattering; no proper botanical reproductions here. But it is therapeutic and thought-provoking for me.


As I meditatively fill in each letter, I think about the words, and the times I could have used them, or drawn on the underlying energy fueling the anger. I can only work on this for about 20-30 minutes at a time before another part of me gets bored and wants to do something else. So I listen to that part (so I don't end up dreading working on this), and go do something else.

So keep watching; I will try to keep updating my progress on a regular basis. Also be on the lookout; each letter will also have an animal or bug on it too, just to keep things light!

*(N.B. the word "art" will now cover anything I create, whether that is art, crafts or baking cookies. It's all artistic, so, for me it's art!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Only you could make "fuck you" look preety. I prodict that by the end of the year you will be able to say shit before you have even a half mouth full!!!

Ms.S